ST. PETERSBURG, FL – Wikia, the online user-generated encyclopedia founded in St. Petersburg in 2004, has raised an undisclosed amount of Series B venture capital from Amazon.com. The Fortune 500 company is the only investor in Wikia’s second round of funding, and Wikia’s first corporate investor.
Wikia founder and Chairman Jimmy Wales said, “Amazon is a leader in offering customer generated content, and we are delighted to have them as a strategic investor in Wikia. With Amazon’s support, Wikia will be able to expand and serve new communities around the globe on an even greater range of topics.”
Earlier this year, privately-held Wikia raised $4 million in its first round of venture capital from Bessemer Venture Partners, Omidyar Network, and a group of angel investors. Afterwards, the company relocated its HQ to San Mateo, CA. Since the Wikia site’s launch, over 400,000 articles on 2,000 topics have been created and edited by over 30,000 registered users in 45 languages.
- Athenix Raises $12.5 Million in Second Round of Venture Capital
- Tower Cloud raises $10 million in first round of venture capital
- Florida Venture Capital Conference: “We got our first hit.”
- Charlotte medical device firm raises $10 million in funding
- Biolex raises $30 million to advance pipeline drugs
© 2006, TechJournal. All rights reserved.