PORT WASHINGTON, NY – Despite the troubled economy, video game sales rose 19 percent in 2008, setting a new record, according to market research firm NPD Group.
Growth did slow in the 4th quarter but sales still rose 9 percent. December also was the first time that industry revenue exceeded $5 billion in one month.
Software sales rose 15 percent to $2.75 billion, with “Wii Play” the leading game.
For the year, software sales were at nearly $11 billion, while hardware sales rose 11 percent to $7.81 billion.
- Video game sales rise 43 percent to record $17.9B
- Video game sales sink in March
- Video games sales plunge 31 percent in June
- U.S. video games sales fall again
- Internet ad revenue still growing but slowing
© 2009, TechJournal. All rights reserved.