And of those dollars, 40 percent went to four Internet sub sectors in the last four months: social, advertising, gaming and discount e-commerce firms.
Anyone reading TechJournal South in recent months has seen these trends in action, particularly the discount e-commerce space, where DC-based LivingSocial has raised $50 million from venture backers and Chicago-based Groupon napped $135 million.
We’ve also seen several new online gaming and advertising related startups emerge.
CB Insights notes that the top 30 VCs put their money in one of every four deals from 2009-2010.
- LivingSocial adds $1.6M to war chest as group buying space remains hot
- Local deals firm LivingSocial raises $400M, reports says
- Local deals firm LivingSocial rings up $2.9M in additional equity
- LivingSocial looking at $500M raise, $2B valuation, reports say
- LivingSocial really dealing: nabs $14M financing led by Lightspeed
© 2010, TechJournal. All rights reserved.