The growth of digital social media has been more meteoric than any digital phenomenon except perhaps mobile – which itself extends social media reach to our shopping trips, business travel, and entertainment excursions. The infographic below, from Simplyzesty.com, graphs the growth of social media giants Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Wikipedia. We would add Tumblr, which is gaining users through what comScore calls “the network effect,” meaning that once a social network hits critical mass, it’s growth explodes. Google+ is clearly going to be an important player going forward, although as a different kind of electron animal than Facebook or Twitter.
Which social network do you think will grab all the buzz next?
- Number of Twitter users drops in October
- Social networking sites drawing mobile users
- ComScore adding social media analysis service
- Mobile social networking use soars
- Social media users expect digital connections to candidates (infographpic)
© 2011, TechJournal. All rights reserved.