Using short digital videos to enhance regular TV broadcast programming ad campaigns is more effective than using either alone, according to a new report from digital measurement firm comScore, Surviving the Upfronts in a Cross-Media World.
“With the digital upfronts in their second year, more advertisers are considering adding digital video to their media mix in long-form TV programming and short-form video,” said Judy Bahary, SVP, Marketing Solutions at comScore.
“Our research shows an incredible synergy between TV and digital video formats when used together in cross-media campaigns, driving effectiveness levels higher than either medium used on its own. As the online video market continues to develop, we should see it evolve from its current supporting role to an essential part of media planning in the annual upfronts.”
Key findings highlighted in the report include:
- The online video audience has reached a point of near saturation at approximately180 million monthly unique viewers, but average engagement levels are rising as it continues to play a more prominent role in the online experience.
- Adding a digital video component to a TV media plan can increase the effective reach of the campaign in a very efficient manner.
- Digital video ad formats are just as effective as TV ads. But TV and digital video have a synergistic effect when used together, making this media mix more effective than either one on its own.
- Multi-Screen consumers are a fast-growing segment and need to be marketed to on multiple screens in order for campaigns to achieve optimal reach and frequency levels.
- Younger age segments are generally more receptive to digital advertising than TV, highlighting the importance of incorporating digital video into the media buying and planning process.
- ComScore acquiring ARSgroup
- Advertisers will boost digital video ad spending by a quarter the next 12 months
- Multi-screen consumers are changing media dynamics
- Atlanta Digital Summit: Trends in ecommerce: don’t base everything on clicks
- New Chrome browser; Net as fundamental to advertisers as TV
© 2012, TechJournal. All rights reserved.