Once, a few years ago, someone managed to hack passwords for my Twitter and Facebook accounts while I was on a free WiFi network during a business trip. Since then, I generally use a virtual private network such as Hotspot Shield when I’m not on a secure network.
But there are other precautions you might want to use while on free WiFi. Here, from Veracode, is an infographic showing the dangers and some precautions for free WiFi networks.
- Free WiFi can lead to identity theft, hijacked accounts (infographic)
- Stay safe: social media security basics (infographic)
- Nine of ten people attacked on social networks (infographic)
- Google vs. Facebook on privacy and security (infographic)
- Someone has a crush on you: social engineering ploys (infographic)
© 2012, TechJournal. All rights reserved.