Only one in five CMOs on the Fortune 100 list are active participants in public social networks, according to BusinessNext Social.
The members of the list – compiled in the BusinessNext Social Top 20 Most Social CMOs in the Fortune 100 – have social credentials demonstrating that they understand what it takes to grow and influence their own networks by using new strategies, cutting-edge social media and mobile technologies and compelling content marketing to build highly adaptive, high performance social businesses.
The study was inspired by the increasing focus businesses are placing on social, and the leadership role marketing is taking in managing social media activities.
A recent study by The CMO Survey predicts that social media spending as a percent of rising marketing budgets is expected to increase from 7.6 to 18.8 percent over the next 5 years; Gartner Research predicts the CMO will spend more on IT than the CIO by 2017. [ii][iii]
The senior-most marketing executives recognized for leading social by example include:
- General Electric Company’s Beth Comstock (@bethcomstock, http://www.linkedin.com/in/elizabethjcomstock), CMO and Senior Vice President
- Google, Inc.’s Nikesh Arora (@nikesharora), Senior Vice President and Chief Business Officer
- Apple, Inc.’s Philip Schiller (@pschiller), Senior Vice President, Worldwide Product Marketing
- IBM’s Jon C. Iwata (@coastw, www.linkedin.com/pub/jon-iwata/4/b92/abb), Senior Vice President, Marketing and Communications
- SAP’s Jonathan Becher (@jbecher, http://www.linkedin.com/in/jbecher), CMO
- Dell’s Karen Quintos (@KarenDellCMO, www.linkedin.com/pub/karen-quintos/1/661/158), CMO
- Exxon Mobil Corporation’s Ken Cohen (@ken_cohen) Vice President of Public and Government Affairs
- Microsoft’s Chris Capossela (@chriscapossela, http://www.linkedin.com/pub/chris-capossela/1/995/7a9), CMO
- Cisco Systems’ Blair Christie (@BlairChristie, http://www.linkedin.com/pub/blair-christie/4/a55/5a1), Senior Vice President and CMO, Government Affairs,
- Raytheon’s Pam Wickham ( @PamWickham1, http://www.linkedin.com/pub/pam-wickham/42/915/363) Vice President of Corporate Affairs and Communications
The entire list of The 20 Most Social CMOs can be found on the BusinessNext Social Blog.